Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sing a little song, do a little dance, teach a lot of science!

So I mentioned in an earlier post that my husband has slowly come to the conclusions that I'm a little nuts. Probably in part because he often enters a room to find me listening to something like this. As much as a point out that it is school work, I think it still thinks its a bit strange.

Anyways, over the last few years of teaching I have realized that for the life of me I cannot get students to remember things like the difference between mitosis and meiosis and yet they can sing every single Katy Perry, Kanye West, or Taylor Swift song they have ever heard. I have an ever growing collection of youtube videos by awesome science teachers that I can pull up on the screen in my classroom. Mr. Parr, who I linked to above is one of my favorite people to consult for cool science songs. All of his songs are set to popular songs that the majority of my students recognize. The videos put the lyrics up on the screen and my students start singing along and doing little dances. This has become a fun way to review concepts...like we did today with the dreaded mitosis. It doesn't take very long and can be a good break between things that might not seem as exciting to the students - gets the blood flowing to their brains again! Tomorrow several of my students are retaking their quiz on mitosis so hopefully including this in our review was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment